Francis: Portrait of the Pope as a young man....

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

Francis: Portrait of the Pope as a young man....

Post by Denise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 am

Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 pm

The poverty-stricken children who were his peers when he was a youngster in the 1940s were in his thoughts and he was determined to use his prominence as a bishop to better the lot of the impoverished, as opposed to rubbing shoulders with the Argentinean elite. He eschewed ostentation, showiness and glamour. Journalists dogged his heels, wanting exclusive interviews, and social climbers sought photo opportunities, but with a famously understated smile, and a reserved manner, he refused interviews and walked away from them. This man for all seasons would never be their man.
I think that sums up the ministry of Bergoglio in Argentina. He was as is a man of the poor and dispossessed, a preacher of the love and salvation of Christ, a self effacing Servant of the Servants of God and a true Argentinian patriot.. and not a friend of the wealthy and powerful who ruled Argentina during the 'Dirty War' and betrayed its people.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9