Pope Francis' coat of arms, motto and ring

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

Pope Francis' coat of arms, motto and ring

Post by Denise » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 pm

The Vatican said that neither his papal ring nor his coat of arms will be ornate. The coat of arms is the same one he used archbishop of Buenos Aires, with the addition of the papal symbols of a bishops' miter and gold and silver-crossed keys.

A gold star representing the Virgin Mary, and the nardo, a grape-like plant with which St Joseph is often represented, are painted on a bright blue background. Above them is the emblem of Francis' Jesuit order. Together the three represent Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

The papal ring is in gold-plated silver and was originally offered to Paul VI in the 1960's.

The Vatican also unveiled the coat of arms and motto Francis will use - which remain the same as those he used as archbishop of Buenos Aires.

The coat of arms shows three symbols on a blue background: at the top, a sun with the letters IHS in the middle - the logo of the Jesuit Society - and underneath a five-point star and a lily, symbolising the Virgin Mary and St Joseph.

The Latin motto beneath the crest is "miserando atque eligendo" - which refers to a Bible passage showing Jesus Christ's "mercy" in choosing Matthew, a tax collector, to be one of his disciples.

"The motto recalls Pope Francis's personal vocation and he wanted to keep it," Fr Lombardi said.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm

All of the insignia looks really.. uh.. cool. I'm not sure if the Crozier he used in the Installation Mass will be the permanent one.. strikes me as more ornate than his other symbols of office... including the simple iron Pectoral Cross he will keep.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

I like it! Guess we'll have to see about the crosier. Aren't they usually more ornate though? The one that belonged to JPII is the crosier that still stands out in my mind, but of course Francis will have his own.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 pm

VARATIONS IN PAPAL COAT OF ARMS

Vatican City, 29 March 2013 (VIS) – The Vatican website has released a new version of the papal coat of arms that incorporates a few changes. The updated image is available at our blogsite: http://visnews-en.blogspot.it/ For the Marian symbol, instead of a five-pointed star, there is now an eight-pointed star, which also represents the 8 beatitudes. The nard flower representing St. Joseph, patron of the Universal Church, has been made to more closely represent that flower. Finally, Francis' motto “miserando atque eligendo” underneath the shield has been placed upon a scroll of white parchment with a red backside. The Jesuit emblem remains the same. More details on the coat of arms can be found in the “FRANCIS' COAT OF ARMS” notice of the bulletin of 19 March: http://visnews-en.blogspot.it/2013/03/f ... -arms.html.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales