Active participation in Extraordinary form of the Low Mass

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

MarieT
Site Admin

Active participation in Extraordinary form of the Low Mass

Post by MarieT » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 pm

a debate is escalating regarding the "active participation" of the congregation

some priests say its ok for the laity to respond alongside the Server....others say the Church refers to "Active" participation as NOT responding but being in contemplative mode....

looking more into this ~ here are 2 sides of the coin

People should not respond at the Extraordinary Mass (server's duty)
For me, having done both the Dialogue Mass and the Silent Low Mass, it is by far more contemplative having the silent low mass. The Dialogue Mass is jarring with all the people shouting our the latin responses.Fr Carrota
VS

Fr Z says should but not for show
In a nutshell, before the Council, it was strongly encouraged that people make responses, especially at Solemn and Sung Masses. This applied often to Low Masses as well, the so-called dialogue Mass.

Is there a good reason why not to respond? Why not to respond “Et cum spirit tuo“, for example?

It is hard for me to think of one. Fr Z
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I refer back to Dietrich von Hildebrand, as part of his theology of Christian personalism, wrote an essay (i can't recall the name), about the two currents of thought on the Mass.

He described the difference as one the elicits a sense of 'community' versus one whose primary emphasis is that of 'communion'. The latter is very personal and introspective, and one that he highly favoured.

In the Novus Ordo the 'community' side won out. So much so that it resembles the congregational atmosphere of Protestant services.. which was highly influential in its development.

I personally think it sabotages the inspiration, conformation and uplift that i always feel with the 1962 Missal. I frankly more often get a sense of frustration, confusion and exhaustion from the Novus Ordo as it deliberately redirects the motive of the Mass from 'communion' to 'community'.

For over 2000 years the articulated and sequestered liturgy, clearly divided by a railing between the sacristry and the nave.. and reflected in the divided structure of the roles of priest and laity has served the Church splendidly.

I consider the Novus Ordo to have been a failed experiment and attempts to create a successful 'hybrid' will do the same. It seems its going to be one or the other.
Last edited by KarlB on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Karl, was the book, Trojan Horse in the City of God?
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 pm

That's one of the books that i've intended to read but haven't got around to yet Denise.

The essay to which i referred i think was this, that nicely summarizes his views on the motive and form of the Mass, and what has been lost in the Novus Ordo. :)

The Case for the Latin Mass
Last edited by KarlB on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Oh okay! Trojan Horse is great.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales