Benedict XVI questions German church tax

Pope Benedict XVI

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Benedict XVI questions German church tax

Post by Denise » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:57 pm

October 11, 2016
Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI questions the reliance of the German Catholic hierarchy on the church tax in the new book-length interview published in Italy, the daily L'Espresso notes.

The German Church has enormous financial resources, in spite of declining Mass attendance, because the government collects a church tax from all citizens who register as Catholics. To avoid that extra tax, many Germans have removed their registration as Catholics; in response, German bishops have said that Catholics who are not registered will not have access to the sacraments.

The retired Pontiff reflected on this unusual arrangement in his interview the Peter Seewald:

In effect I have serious doubts about the correctness of the system as it is. I do not mean that there should not be an ecclesiastical tax, but the automatic excommunication of those who do not pay it, in my view, is not sustainable... In Germany we have a Catholicism that is structured and well-paid, in which Catholics are often employees of the Church and have a union mentality in regard to it.... I believe that this represents the great danger of the Church in Germany: there are so many collaborators under contract that the institution is turning into a worldly bureaucracy.

References:
Anything But an Example For the World. The German Church Is a Black Hole (L'Espresso)
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales