January 1st Mary, Holy Mother of God

The greatest friends we have are those who are in heaven cheering us on as we struggle to overcome our sinful nature and live the Christian life.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise, KarlB

Denise
Site Admin

January 1st Mary, Holy Mother of God

Post by Denise » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:35 am

Though her feast day is celebrated January 1, Catholics honor Mary every day of the year through prayer. We remember the many ways God blessed Mary. We read about Mary in Scripture. Since Mary was the first to hear about the mission of Jesus, she is his first disciple. She dedicated her life on earth to following him and supporting his work. She showed others how to follow Jesus as well. Her faith came from an understanding of the great gifts that God had given to her, especially the gift of her son Jesus. By following Mary, we can see the way to love Jesus more deeply and appreciate how much he loves us.

Mary grew up during a difficult time in her country. Her people lived under the control of the powerful Roman Empire. This made many people long for their freedom. There were many opinions on how to gain this freedom, and this difference of opinion sometimes developed into violent conflict.

A woman in Mary’s time worked hard to maintain a home for her family. She not only had to cook the meals and wash all of the clothes, but she also had to grow much of the food and even weave the cloth to make the clothes. There was no running water, so she had to make daily trips to a well and carry water back to the house.

Faith in God was an important part of the lives of Mary and the people of her country. They followed religious laws that were intended to prepare them for the coming of a Messiah, or Savior, who would liberate them.

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior." (Luke 1:46–47)
Mary grew up learning about the promise of the Messiah. When she was a young girl, Mary was engaged to a man named Joseph. Before they were married, she received a vision of an angel who asked her to be the mother of the Messiah she had waited for her whole life. Mary accepted, saying "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). When Mary accepted her role as the Mother of the Savior, she knew that he was her Savior as well. She exclaimed her gratitude to God in her prayer we call the Magnificat.

Being the mother of Jesus was not an easy task. Mary’s life was full of great joys and great sorrows. Mary and Joseph were poor people, so they both worked hard to provide food and shelter for Jesus. Mary raised her son in the traditions of her culture, presenting him in the temple when he was a baby and taking him to Jerusalem for the religious festivals. Since she knew who Jesus was and what his mission would be, it would have been a huge responsibility! During one trip to Jerusalem, Mary and Joseph lost Jesus. Since he was only 12 years old, they were very worried about him, and searched the city for three days. They finally found him in the temple, preaching to the elders and teachers.

When Jesus was an adult and began preaching, Mary accompanied him. She asked him to perform the miracle at Cana, in which he turned water into wine. Mary was completely faithful to the message that Jesus preached, and she was confident that he would grant her request. She instructed other people who were there to "do whatever he tells you.”

Mary was also with Jesus when he carried his cross. She witnessed the terrible deeds that others committed against him. Because of her faith, Mary did not leave Jesus when he was suffering, even though it would have been a painful experience for her. She stood at the foot of the cross still listening to him and trying to comfort him. It was there that Jesus entrusted all of us to her care. This mission was very close to Mary’s heart. She comforted the Apostles and prayed with them after Jesus' Ascension into heaven. Mary was with the Apostles when they received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and watched them depart for many different countries to spread the Good News of God’s love.

Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Denise
Site Admin

Re: December 1st Mary, Holy Mother of God

Post by Denise » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:20 pm

Why do we call Mary our Blessed Mother?

Today, is the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God!

Have you ever wondered why we call her the Blessed Mother?

In Sacred Scripture, after the angel Gabriel visits Mary in her home to tell her that she will bear the Savior of the world at the Annunciation, Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth, who calls Mary “the mother of my Lord” (Luke 1:43).

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that because Mary is the mother of Jesus—and Jesus is God—she has the beautiful privilege of being called “the Mother of God.” She is not just the mother of His human nature; she is the mother of the whole Person of Christ, and Christ has two natures: human and divine. The Catechism explains:

“In fact, the One whom [Mary] conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father’s eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly the ‘Mother of God’ (Theo-tokos)” (CCC 495).

We call Mary the Blessed Mother because of Sacred Scripture. When Mary visited her cousin, Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and cried out, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!” (Luke 1:42). And in her Song of Praise, popularly known as the Magnificat, Mary replied, “Behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed” (Luke 1:48).

And why do we call Mary our Mother, even though she is not our biological mother?

Since Mary gave birth to Jesus, who is the Head of the Mystical Body of Christ, and we are all members of His Body, she therefore brought us spiritually into being as sons and daughters of God. This fundamental truth is also why we have high regard for Mary. Before she said “yes” to God, we were not able to enter heaven. Her role in salvation history is crucial.

Mothers guide, nurture, and teach their children. The Blessed Mother guides, nurtures, and teaches us to become faithful followers of her Son, Jesus Christ.

Today on this glorious Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, let us honor our Blessed Mother for her yes to God, and for giving us our Savior, Jesus Christ.

from The Catholic Company
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:26 pm

i love that work of art - i have an embroidery that i must get onto doing, and its the backdrop for my ipad. Its so beautiful.

As well as being the first disciple, Mary at the incarnation became the fullness of the Body of Christ - she contained within her womb the Head of the Church and the Body of Christ. She epitomises the fulness that other Christian denominations cannot fathom surprisingly.

I'm unsure if i mentioned it in a previous post, but i was watching a movie "Mary of Nazareth" the other day and during Jesus becoming of age and being permitted to read in the temple for the first time then the party afterwards to celebrate, the romans ride through and disrupt the party and make off with food and wine etc......

and one of the crowd screams out to the heavens with arms outstretched "how much longer Lord must we wait for you to help us ...." then Jesus the young boy steps out from the temple and witnesses this.......

a very powerful and moving scene
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:33 pm

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:35 pm

perhaps today we might be reminded of God always with us

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:56 am

Wow, I saw that a long time ago. Those beautiful eyes!