St Teresa of Avila tomb opened-body incorrupt 442 years later

The greatest friends we have are those who are in heaven cheering us on as we struggle to overcome our sinful nature and live the Christian life.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise, KarlB

MarieT
Site Admin

St Teresa of Avila tomb opened-body incorrupt 442 years later

Post by MarieT » Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:59 am

Teresa of Avila’s tomb opened, body still incorrupt
442 years after her death, St Teresa of Avila's body is incorrupt
After 110 years, the tomb of the great Spanish doctor of the Church was opened for studies. Her body is still preserved.
Ateam of researchers will spend the next four days studying the body of St. Teresa of Avila, after her tomb was opened this August 28. The doctor of the Church rests in the town where she died, in northwestern Spain, Alba de Tormes.

Teresa died in 1582 and in the following centuries, there was great interest in obtaining relics of her, i.e., a piece of her bone or flesh. This led to some of her remains being dispersed around Europe; however the majority, including her heart and arm, are kept under careful vigilance in the town of her death, on the beautiful Tormes River.

In fact, to open the urn containing her body, 10 separate keys are needed; three of these are habitually kept in Rome.

source

source
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Re: St Teresa of Avila tomb opened-body incorrupt 442 years later

Post by Denise » Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:17 am

I wonder why they didn't allow us to see her? I love that saint!
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: St Teresa of Avila tomb opened-body incorrupt 442 years later

Post by MarieT » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:55 am

yep same

unusual
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord