Why wear a Crucifix?

This forum is intended to be a safe place for non-Catholics AND Catholics to ask questions about Catholicism and Catholic teachings. Here you can read about the faith from faithful, practicing Catholics, ask them your questions, and start to find out exactly what being a Catholic is all about. (Questions and discussions on matters of faith are to be kept respectful and non-inflammatory.)

Moderators: Johnna, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Why wear a Crucifix?

Post by Denise » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 am

The crucifix is a symbol of the Ultimate Sacrifice made by Jesus. It calls to mind His death and resurrection.

As Catholics, crucifixes are all around us. They’re in our homes and churches. We even wear them. Why?

Because the crucifix is a reminder of God’s incredible love for us. It reveals the extreme suffering He embraced to save us from our sins. It is the sign of Jesus’ victory and our eternal salvation.

The crucifix is also a sacramental.

Sacramentals are spiritual objects or prayers instituted by the Church that dispose our souls to receive grace.

Wearing a crucifix can be a personal way to show our devotion to God.

It is a simple way to express our gratitude for His sacrificial love, and to remind ourselves of what it means to follow Jesus.

Find a crucifix necklace you'll love wearing every day, have it blessed, and start receiving graces from this powerful sacramental!
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: Why wear a Crucifix?

Post by MarieT » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:38 am

indeed the symbol of the sacrifice

i've been asked before "why do you wear the crucifix which sygnifies the symbol of the torture of Jesus?"

it is a reminder of the extreme sacrifice of our Lord for his people
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:48 am

I have also been asked why I have depictions of Jesus on the cross and of His torture on the way to Calvary and I say it is a reminder of how much He loves us and what He went through to save us. To look at these things is a huge reminder that we owe Jesus our very lives and gratitude for all the suffering He went through for each one of us as if each of us were the only person on earth. All these signs of the crucifixion and torture are Jesus saying, "This is how much I love you." ✝💞
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:31 am

Amen - indeed
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord