Our Lady As Reflected in the Magnificat

This forum is intended to be a safe place for non-Catholics AND Catholics to ask questions about Catholicism and Catholic teachings. Here you can read about the faith from faithful, practicing Catholics, ask them your questions, and start to find out exactly what being a Catholic is all about. (Questions and discussions on matters of faith are to be kept respectful and non-inflammatory.)

Moderators: Johnna, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Our Lady As Reflected in the Magnificat

Post by Denise » Thu May 23, 2024 7:25 am

Reflect with me, in Mary’s month, on what we learn about Mary – her personality and her virtues – from the Magnificat. I don’t mean what it says, so much as (i) the fact that we have it at all; (ii) the fact that she composed it; and (iii) what it does not say.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2024/0 ... 0e2ee99a66
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: Our Lady As Reflected in the Magnificat

Post by MarieT » Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 am

interestingly in the Old Testament times, the Magnificat is cited by Hannah

Mary (later in the New Testament) will recite the Magnificat -

some scholars state Mary was learned in scripture and responded with the praises as depicted by Hannah in the Old Testament
The background on Hannah was that she was barren - could not have children but her cries in the temple brought her miracle and she conceived and pronounced her song of praise. She brings Samuel to the temple and dedicates him to the Lord.
26 And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the Lord, and also with men.
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord