Missed Prayers?????

This forum is intended to be a safe place for non-Catholics AND Catholics to ask questions about Catholicism and Catholic teachings. Here you can read about the faith from faithful, practicing Catholics, ask them your questions, and start to find out exactly what being a Catholic is all about. (Questions and discussions on matters of faith are to be kept respectful and non-inflammatory.)

Moderators: Johnna, Denise

CameronA

Missed Prayers?????

Post by CameronA » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:07 am

Hi guys. Just a sensitive question if I may? Im only new to reading and praying the Divine Office and until recently have kept up to date with the readings every day. But every now and again I miss one and have to go back and read that day before catching up with the present day. If I am 3 days behind do I have to read all 3 days (which would be almost 2 hours of reading) or can I just begin at the day I am up to? I know this is a more of an in-house question but i am confused and our priest is on leave. regards and blessings to all. Cam.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 am

Cameron, I suggest that you just pick up the day that you are presently in. When your pastor returns, just have a chat with him about it. If duties for your state in life keep you from praying the Divine Office once in a while, God would probably rather see you tend to your duties.

For example, mom is in her room praying the Rosary and Junior is in the other room and is crying; which comes first, her alone time in prayer, or tending to her child? Any good mom would run to see if her child was okay and if he wasn't, she wouldn't ignore him and go back to her Rosary. She would tend to her duties that her calling in life require.

God can be found in the pots and pans.
Teresa of Avila
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 am

Cameron, I just found a pdf document on the Divine Office with questions and answers and I found this

Can I make up an Hour I missed?
In the Divine Office, each prayer is linked to the different
hours of the day, the prayer you should pray should be of
that particular time. If you have missed an earlier prayer,
there is no need to “make up” for it later. The Divine
Office is not a quota of prayer that we have to accomplish
within a day.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

I never really knew the answer on this either. Thank you for finding it, Denise. The true answer does make sense. When I pray, I only try to make up prayers if I am praying a novena or some such. Then I will be sure to get all the prayers in there.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

CameronA

Post by CameronA » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Thank you all very much guys. Youve helped me again! :D

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 am

You are quite welcome, Cam. We always TRY to help as best we can.

God bless you
Denise