Just a question

This forum is a place to discuss issues regarding NFP (Natural Family Planning) and related subjects. It is a place not only to talk about the mechanics of NFP, but also about the moral and physical dangers of contraception as well as the joys and blessings of children and families. As in the other forums, the teachings of the Catholic Church are to be respected. Keep conversation adult and polite.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT

LucyM

Just a question

Post by LucyM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:33 pm

I was speaking to my dh about NFP. He pointed out that my cycles are so irregular that it wouldn't work. I can go anywhere from 2 weeks to 40 days between periods.

I haven't researched it. What does one do if her cycles are irregular.

What does a woman do if her dh is closed to NFP?

ElizabethS

Post by ElizabethS » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:10 pm

You follow the teaching of the Catholic church which in it's loving concern for our immortal soul teaches us to remain always open to life and that artificial contraception is against God and against His plan for mankind. It can be quite a leap of faith especially in these times where so much of society is against life and so vehemently preaches how bothersome children are but God is never outdone in generosity. :D

ElizabethS--mom of eight

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:53 pm

Lucy,

There are many things that can cause a cycle to be irregular. Some of these causes are easily corrected and good for your whole being - not just your fertility cycle. These include getting regular sleep, eating healthy and maintaining healthy body weight, lowering stress. Sometimes that's all it takes for things to go right again. Of course this is not always the case with everyone, and I cannot say whether or not it is the case with you. I can tell you that in my case, I usualy go about 30-35 days for a cycle (not the stereotypical 28 days. Not everyone has a typical 28.) and I am more regular when I get proper sleep and eat right.

If you have an irregular cycle, NFP can be a little harder to learn in the beginning. but that doesn't mean it is impossible. What I would recommend is to take an NFP class. That way you can discuss your irregularities with the instructor(s) and they can give advice on how to take care of your specific needs. Finding an NFP only physician in your area might be beneficial too. That way if your irregularities do require you to see a gynecologist, you will have a doctor that is on your side.
http://www.omsoul.com has a search engine for pro life NFP only doctors. You can search there.

The issue of your dh is just going to take faith and prayer. If the both of you are commited to doing what the Church teaches, then Love will find a way. If that is not the case, the only thing I know to do is pray, but praying with a humble and sincere desire to do God's will can go a long long way.

God bless you as you struggle with this issue!

Lori

Post by Lori » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:00 pm

Lucy,

I agree with both Elizabeth and Johnna on this. And although I don't know you I am so happy to see you research the Truth. God so loves you and all of your children born or yet to be born. Trust Him!

Blessings,

Lori