Sept 15th Our Lady of Sorrows

In this forum you can write about your relationship with the Lord, your spiritual life, devotions you may take part in, works of Mercy you have done, what apostolates you are part of, ask for prayer, talk about the heavenly family (The Saints, Holy Mother, The Lord), talk about the triumphs in your life, and the misfortunes in your life.

Moderator: Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Sept 15th Our Lady of Sorrows

Post by Denise » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:13 am

Why do we call Mary, Our Lady of Sorrows”?

The title, “Our Lady of Sorrows,” given to our Blessed Mother focuses on her intense suffering and grief during the passion and death of our Lord. Traditionally, this suffering was not limited to the passion and death event; rather, it comprised “the seven dolors” or “seven sorrows” of Mary, which were foretold by the Priest Simeon who proclaimed to Mary, “This child [Jesus] is destined to be the downfall and the rise of many in Israel, a sign that will be opposed– and you yourself shall be pierced with a sword– so that the thoughts of many hearts may be laid bare” (Luke 2:34-35). These seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother included the prophecy of Simeon, the flight of the Holy Family into Egypt; the loss and finding of the child Jesus in the Temple; Mary’s meeting of Jesus on His way to Calvary; Mary’s standing at the foot of the cross when our Lord was crucified; her holding of Jesus when He was taken down from the cross; and then our Lord’s burial. In all, the prophesy of Simeon that a sword would pierce our Blessed Mother’s heart was fulfilled in these events. For this reason, Mary is sometimes depicted with her heart exposed and with seven swords piercing it. More importantly, each new suffering was received with the courage, love, and trust that echoed her fiat, “let it be done unto me according to Thy word,” first uttered at the Annunciation.

This Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows grew in popularity in the twelfth century, although under various titles. Granted, some writings would place its roots in the eleventh century, especially among the Benedictine monks. By the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, the feast and devotion were widespread throughout the Church.

Interestingly, in 1482, the feast was officially placed in the Roman Missal under the title of “Our Lady of Compassion,” highlighting the great love our Blessed Mother displayed in suffering with her Son. The word compassion derives from the Latin roots cum and patior which means “to suffer with.” Our Blessed Mother’s sorrow exceeded anyone else’s since she was the mother of Jesus, who was not only her Son but also her Lord and Savior; she truly suffered with her Son. In 1727, Pope Benedict XIII placed the Feast of Our Lady of Compassion in the Roman Calendar on Friday before Palm Sunday. This feast was suppressed with the revision of the calendar published in the Roman Missal of 1969.

In 1668 the feast in honor of the Seven Dolors was set for the Sunday after September 14, the Feast of the Holy Cross. The feast was inserted into the Roman calendar in 1814, and Pope Pius X fixed the permanent date of September 15 for the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary (now simply called the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows). The key image here is our Blessed Mother standing faithfully at the foot of the cross with her dying Son: the Gospel of St. John recorded, “Seeing His mother there with the disciple whom He loved, Jesus said to His mother, ‘Woman, there is your son.’ In turn He said to the disciple, ‘There is your mother.’” (John 19:26-27). The Second Vatican Council in its Dogmatic Constitution on the Church wrote, “…She stood in keeping with the divine plan, suffering grievously with her only-begotten Son. There she united herself, with a maternal heart, to His sacrifice, and lovingly consented to the immolation of this Victim which she herself had brought forth” (#58).

St. Bernard (d. 1153) wrote, “Truly, O Blessed Mother, a sword has pierced your heart…. He died in body through a love greater than anyone had known. She died in spirit through a love unlike any other since His” (De duodecim praerogatativs BVM).

Focusing on the compassion of our Blessed Mother, our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, reminded the faithful, “Mary Most Holy goes on being the loving consoler of those touched by the many physical and moral sorrows which afflict and torment humanity. She knows our sorrows and our pains, because she too suffered, from Bethlehem to Calvary. ‘And thy soul too a sword shall pierce.’ Mary is our Spiritual Mother, and the mother always understands her children and consoles them in their troubles. Then, she has that specific mission to love us, received from Jesus on the Cross, to love us only and always, so as to save us! Mary consoles us above all by pointing out the Crucified One and Paradise to us!” (1980).

Therefore, as we honor our Blessed Mother, our Lady of Sorrows, we honor her as the faithful disciple and exemplar of faith. Let us pray as we do in the opening prayer of the Mass for this feast day: “Father, as your Son was raised on the cross, His Mother Mary stood by Him, sharing His sufferings. May your Church be united with Christ in His suffering and death and so come to share in His rising to new life.” Looking to the example of Mary, may we too unite our sufferings to our Lord, facing them with courage, love, and trust.

https://catholicstraightanswers.com/

Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Denise
Site Admin

Re: Sept 15th Our Lady of Sorrows

Post by Denise » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:39 am

"I gaze upon the children of men to see whether anyone feels compassion for me, and alas, I see but few!...Do not forget me. Consider how much I have suffered."—Our Lady to St. Bridget

Did you know that the Church calls Our Lady Queen of Martyrs?

All the martyrs found peace when they raised their eyes to Jesus, uniting their sufferings to His.
But at the foot of her Son’s Cross, Mary received no consolation. It was the sight of her beloved Son in anguish that caused her Heart the most intense suffering, winning her a martyr’s crown.

St. Bernardine of Siena says the sorrow of Mary was so great that if it had been equally divided among all men, they all would have died immediately. Our Lady’s faithfulness is an incredible testament to her love!

By praying the Seven Sorrows Chaplet, we can console her Immaculate Heart and learn to imitate her love.

Devotion to Our Lady’s sorrows dates back to the early centuries of the Church.

It was especially promoted by the Servite Order and St. Bridget of Sweden in the Middle Ages.

In the 1600s, the Servites developed the Seven Sorrows Rosary as a special way to honor the Sorrowful Mother, to whom they are particularly dedicated.

And not even 50 years ago, the Blessed Mother asked us to pray this chaplet when she appeared as Our Lady of Kibeho in Rwanda.

One of the visionaries attested that: “[The Holy Virgin] also taught us the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows. She asked us to pray it every Tuesday and Friday.”

When you pray the Seven Sorrows Rosary, you’ll pray an Our Father and 7 Hail Marys while meditating on each one of Mary’s Seven Sorrows for every set of beads.

The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:34-35)
The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-21)
The Loss of Jesus for Three Days (Luke 2:41-50)
The Carrying of the Cross (John 19:17)
The Crucifixion of Jesus (John 19:18-30)
Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross (John 19:39-40)
Jesus is Laid in the Tomb (John 19:39-42)

Our Lady makes incredible promises to those who meditate on her sorrows!

"I will grant peace to their families."
"They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries."
"I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work."
"I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls."
"I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives."
"I will visibly help them at the moment of their death—they will see the face of their mother."
"I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy."

You can search online for a chaplet. They range from under ten dollars to over one hundred.
OR you can make your own.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Denise
Site Admin

Re: Sept 15th Our Lady of Sorrows

Post by Denise » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:10 am

The compassion and joy of Our Lady of Sorrows

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/202 ... september/