Maria Simma and Our Lady of Medjugorje

Heresy experiments in distortion; orthodoxy developes in proportion. The false emphasis is not only a wrong in itself but it is used as a means of diverting the eyes of men in the wrong direction. Van Zeller

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sun May 04, 2008 2:46 pm

I get really upset when I see this book by Simma being propagated. Here is some wise advice by Catholic Answers

Question from on 07-30-2003:

Have you ever heard of the visionary, Maria Simma? Is she approved by the Catholic Church? She has a book, Get Us Out of Here. It's about the Poor Souls in Purgatory. A friend of mine is reading this book, and supposedly, one can write to Maria Simma and ask if a loved one is in Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory. I am very leery of doing this and told my friend I would write and ask your opinion. My friend is also interested in Our Lady of Medjugorje. What should I tell her about that? Unfortunately, my friend does not have access to the internet where she can ask these questions on her own. Thank you very much. Your forum is awesome!

Janet

Answer by Catholic Answers on 08-28-2003:

Janet--

I could not find much information available online about the status of Maria Simma. Because so little information is available, I would suggest staying away from alleged visionaries that one can't find out much about.

The invitation to write to her for information about the fate of one's loved ones is also a definite red flag. Even assuming Simma has been given by God a gift to know these destinies, indiscriminately sharing the information with anyone who asks undercuts the Church's command to pray for the dead. For example, if Simma told someone that the person's loved one was either in heaven or in hell, that person would no longer be prayed for (no need in either case). And if Simma is wrong? A soul in purgatory is being deprived of much-needed prayers.

In any event, even authentic private revelation is never binding on anyone except the person to whom the authentic private revelation is given (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church 67). The alleged apparitions of the Blessed Mother at Medjugorje would also be private revelation, and in this case the accounts of those alleged apparitions have been disapproved of by two successive bishops of the diocese where Medjugorje is located.

I would say that your instincts in this matter are good; listen to them. God bless.

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Isn't this Simms lady dead?

-KJS