Gregorian Chant Course for those in the Dallas area

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Gregorian Chant Course for those in the Dallas area

Post by Denise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:33 am

St. William's in Greenville, Texas
Get directions

Mr. Thomas Larson and the Course on Gregorian Chant, July 8 through July 22.

Over the last couple of weeks I have made mention of this great blessing, which is coming to our parish: a class in Gregorian chant. The practice of chant in Catholic worship goes back to the very beginning of the Church. Only lately has it fallen into disuse. In no way can one point to the official documents of the Church or the teachings of the Popes over the last 40 years and find a reason to abandon Gregorian chant. The Bishops of the Second Vatican Council along with each Pope since that time have called for a renewed interest in chant on every level.

The course is open to any and all who wish to learn about Gregorian Chant. The schedule for the first week of the course will be published while leaving the second week’s schedule a bit flexible to incorporate any changes, which might appear fitting.

How providential! July 8th happens to be the first day AFTER the first anniversary of Pope Benedict XVI’s Motu Proprio concerning the extraordinary form of the Mass, Summorum Pontificum . Dr. Thomas Larson led Gregorian chant for years at my former parish, Blessed Sacrament in Dallas, before he and his wife and kids moved to New Hampshire. He was here in Greenville with his family during the beautiful services of Holy Week, 2008.

There is no charge for the classes. All are invited. The classes will be held in the education building, the classroom closest to the Cafeteria/Community Room. The following is a list of the dates and times of the first week:
Tuesday, July 8th, 10am until 12pm/Noon and again in the evening from 6pm until 8pm.

Wednesday, July 9th, 10am until 12pm/Noon and again in the evening from 6pm until 8pm.

Thursday, July 10th, 10am until 12pm/Noon and again in the evening from 6pm until 8pm.

Friday, July 11th, 10am until 12pm/Noon and again in the evening from 6pm until 8pm.

Saturday, July 12th, 10am until 12pm/Noon and again from 2pm until 4pm.

No classes are held on Sunday. Father Paul
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

JeniR

Post by JeniR » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Oh wow. How awesome!! I truly wish I could attend.
And so , with every beat of my heart, I thank You, my God, for your great mercy towards me.~Saint Faustina~

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:58 pm

me 2 :(

m7
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:34 pm

me 3 :D
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just heard our new choir! Oh my goodness, they put some of those televised choirs to shame. Our Gregorian Chant Choir is excellent! :D I have the chills!

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:56 am

Hearing that made me warm inside. :)
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 am

I will be adding the recording of the last day of class to the radio station. :) As soon as hubby has time to put them on there.

Blessings
Denise

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 am

Awesome!
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Today Fr. Z has an entry on his blog HERE

It is concerning teaching children Latin etc. Well, we put the chant on the station and you will clearly hear that children can learn Latin. This is the class taught by Tom at St. William's in Greenville texas. The class was tow weeks; there were three women and about ten children. I don't know why but a number of the prayers don't seem to start with the very first word but if you let it loop around it starts off with the first word.

Right below the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time you will see the play list for the chant

ENJOY
http://www.live365.com/stations/sfcr?site=sfcr