The Unity of Love and Suffering

Inspirational Quotes From Our Lord to Saint Faustina and Other Divine Mercy Devotions.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

The Unity of Love and Suffering

Post by Denise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 am

Are love and suffering opposed? In other words, if you feel much suffering can you also have great love? One question to consider is this: What is the source of your suffering? Is it your sin? Is it compassion for another? Is it a physical or psychological wound? The truth is that every suffering is able to be united with love in your heart. This is true even of the suffering you endure as a result of your sin. Sin is clearly not from God, but when you experience interior suffering as a result of your sin, it’s a sign that your conscience is at work and that is good. The goal is to take every form of suffering you endure, be it from sin or any other source, and let it become an impetus for mercy. First, you must allow the Mercy of God to soothe the pain you feel, and then you must let that love coming from the Lord’s Mercy transform your suffering into your own mercy. Suffering and Mercy must meet within your heart and from there, extend out to others

(See Diary #1050).

1050 March 24, 1937. Wednesday of Holy Week. My heart is languishing for God. I desire to become united with Him. A faint fear pierces my soul and at the same time a kind of flame of love sets my heart on fire. Love and suffering are united in my heart.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales