OF THEE I ZING

Here you will find great orthodox Catholic books, old and new, as well as talks or articles by orthodox authors and lecturers.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

OF THEE I ZING

Post by Denise » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am

OF THEE I ZING

A new book that Laura Ingraham wrote with Raymond Arroyo:

If you are looking for a witty and insightful look at American culture, Of Thee I Zing is the right choice. A fast and breezy read, this is the perfect book to take along on summer vacation. Laura has the eye of a polished sociologist and the kind of devilish humor we would expect from someone who hangs around with Raymond Arroyo.
http://www.lauraingraham.com/f/Of-Thee-I-Zing

Catholic League
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Sounds like a possible add to my kindle wishlist :D
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I think i might be the last person in North America, to buy a Kindle. My entire library, mostly bought used or on sale, when i can afford them, for a few special books, in beautifully bound hard covers with thick pressed, acid free paper, collected over a decade.. could fit on a microchip. The wisdom is still there, but the style !?.. a personal vanity i suppose.. :) :wink: .
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Ah, now you have touched on something special to me. I am a book person and I love to read. (prepare for long answer lol)

A kindle will never entirely replace real books for me. But I got one for Christmas and I confess to just loving it. I have the one with 3g wireless network and I have turned it into a prayer book of sorts.

The web browser is still considered experimental, and it just won't handle certain websites such as facebook, which is just too much for the thing and seems to just plain lock the device up. However, I have found prayers on the internet and bookmarked the pages where they are. For example the 54 day rosary novena and the st. Bridget prayers. Now whenever I want I can just turn on the wireless connection and load up the page and pray.
I've also discovered that some very old Catholic classics are extremely cheap or even free. I've downloaded Imitation of Christ, works of Theresa of Avilla, and the Douay-Rheims bible for example. Thus, it has been an excellent prayer tool for me.

It is portable that I can take it anywhere and having these things on the kindle frees up the computer for others in my house. I can fit an entire library in my pocket (or at least my bag) and have it with me, including two dictionaries, all my prayers, internet access, and no glaring screens. (true this means you can't read it in the dark, but I have a light for that and I'm very easily and comfortably reading outside in sunlight.) The ability to have book after book without taking up the extra space is also awesome for someone like me who doesn't have room for more bookshelves or boxes of books.

Of course you don't get the feel, look, smell, touch of a regular book. There is just something about the breeze of the pages flipping by, the feel of the cover under your hands, the illustrations... Yeah I'l always look at real books as an old friend. But Kindle (and other e-readers, but I haven't used them so I can't vouch for them) is still the written word, and for someone who loves to read, it has become dear to my heart, real book or no.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:39 pm

A kindle will never entirely replace real books for me.
I hope that's true for our society in general, Johnna. I'm not underestimating the value of technology in facilitating communications (like this forum) or accessing information. It's been a Godsend and very useful.

You've made a good case for your Kindle. I'd only add one more attribute to yours of the traditional book, that is the ability to browse, especially through used bookshops, where something just comes out and grabs you from the shelves, something you weren't looking for.. for whatever reason.. the cover art, organization, or some 6th sense.. which can't be replicated with a web browser.. so i hope they never go the way of the mechanical typewriter. :)
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:36 pm

I hope they never totally go away too. I love books so very much. The way the smell and the feel of the pages under my fingers are not a replaceable thing to me. Not at all. I have a bad feeling that books might go the way of the card catalog though. One day someone is going to say they take up waaaay too much room and they use up too many trees. The fact that I love books and therefore maybe others do too is not solace to me. My opinion on such things is frequently in the minority.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:48 pm

I love my books too. I would rather read from a book than anything. With books, if you take care of them, you never have to worry about not being able to read them if electricity no long exists. :wink:
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales