Greetings!

If you are a new member, please feel free to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

LisaC

Greetings!

Post by LisaC » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:25 pm

It's good to find some more friends who are traditional Catholics. I was confirmed in 2005 but have taught in Catholic schools for 10 years.

I know that many of you are "cradle Catholics." I converted from the Episcopal Church (my dad is a priest in that church.) Our family was always very traditional and I was taught to respect the Catholic faith from an early age. Many things that I was taught about the sacraments and the Bible and morality as a child are the same things we now teach in Catholic school. The Episcopal church has drifted away from such teachings for the most part. (But that is another story, as Aslan says.)

My husband was a lapsed Catholic when we were married, and he works in a large Episcopal parish as the organist/choir director. When I told him I wanted to look into confirmation I expected him to object, but he didn't. I was asked by our pastor at school to study the catechism and met with him several times to discuss questions, and then joined the regular RCIA class for the Lenten retreat and First Confession. Meanwhile my husband stayed out of the process so as not to influence me either way. I was confirmed at the Vigil but felt very much alone and scared; several of his friends expressed disapproval and he remained silent about the whole thing, so I assumed I was going to be a "single parent" church-wise. Our daughter was in 2nd grade and preparing for First Communion at our Catholic school too, so I went ahead in spite of my nerves, because I knew somebody had to guide her and our kindergarten son in the faith.

Two weeks after my confirmation my husband met with a priest quietly and made his own return to the Church. I was so surprised! We have kept this secret from his co-workers for the most part, however, because he was advised that "a Roman Catholic couldn't hold an administrative position in this parish" by the Baptist business manager at his church. (So much for the famous Episcopal tolerance!)

To make a long story short (oops, too late), it's been almost 3 years and we are better as a couple and as a family than ever, thanks to the support of our Catholic friends and the grace of the sacraments. We love reading and our books have been a great source of encouragement also. A close friend introduced us this past year to Fr. Corapi's Catechism CDs, the Tridentine Mass, and the rosary. Our main difficulty is that my husband still hasn't found a Catholic job yet, but we are hopeful.

That's about I can think of for now. Thanks for reading it and please ask if you are curious about anything I've said. I'm looking forward to many questions and answers here on the site. :)
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Welcome Lisa, so glad you found us.

My husband is a convert from the Episcopal church as well. He is the office manager at our parish. He is such a devout Catholic I forget that he is a convert. :) He is a very good guy.

I pray your husband finds employment in the Catholic Church and am happy he came home to Rome.

Blessings
Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

LisaC

Post by LisaC » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks...BTW, I found this forum through another forum at the Coming Home Network. Have you & your husband visited there? I like it a lot.

Lisa

JeniR

Post by JeniR » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Welcome!!! My name is Jeni. I am married and have two daughters. My husband and I are also both converts.
And so , with every beat of my heart, I thank You, my God, for your great mercy towards me.~Saint Faustina~

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:15 pm

I used to be a member of the network but have so much on my plate that anything extra anymore is out of the question. CHN is a wonderful too for gathering sheep and bringing them back into the fold.

Blessings
Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Lori

Post by Lori » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:00 pm

It's good to find some more friends who are traditional Catholics
Lisa,

Welcome home. Actually we are more family than friends. Baptism made us children of God and so we are. May God continue to bless your family.

Blessings,

Lori

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Welcome, Welcome! I am a convert myself, although my husband is a cradle catholic. But that was awhile ago. It will be ten years and counting when the Easter Vigil comes round again. I have four kids now, just gave birth to my youngest almost three weeks ago.
Lori is right, we are a family here, a family in Christ. It is great to see new faces on the board again. I know you're gonna love it here.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

LisaC

Post by LisaC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks again, y'all.

I felt, when I began looking into the Church seriously, that I was discovering a very big family in which I was meant to be....from the beginning!

This has been confirmed in so many ways since I became "officially" Catholic. Several people I have respected and loved over the years have made the same journey I was making, and I didn't even know about it until after I had already "swum the Tiber" too.

Deo gratias!

Lisa

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 am

welcome to the forum lisa....great to have you aboard.

God bless
MarieT
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:31 am

Welcome Lisa! You will find a lot to do and post up in these here parts!

I guess this means our registration is back up? :)

-KJS