The Rosary

If you are a new member, please feel free to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

The Rosary

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:45 pm

This may sound strange, but what is the best way to pray the Rosary? Also, I want to start teaching my daughter as well, what is the best way to teach her all the prayers and everything?

Thanks,
Steph 8-)

Lori

Post by Lori » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:12 pm

Stephanie,

I have a couple of little pamphlets that I use as well as a kids Rosary Book. The Rosary is a prayer that you get "better" at as years go by. First you need to learn which prayers go on which beads. Then the mysteries. Afterwards you can put it all together. If you want PM me and I will give you my number and we can pray it together over the phone.

Lori

Marlene

Post by Marlene » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Hi Stephanie,

I taught my children how to pray the rosary a little bit at a time.

We started by teaching them the basic prayers: The Our Father, the Hail Mary and the Glory Be. They actually had to sing these prayers every night before bed. We figured the singing would help them to memorize them. And I believed it worked. Now that they all know them, we say them instead. It's better for them to say it, so they can say the Our Father at Church with everyone else.

Once they know those 3 basic prayers - it's easy. The key is saying it together as a family. They catch on with the rest. I say the Creed, and just have them say 'Amen' at the end. I have a rosary for each of them that I give them when we pray the Rosary. They're all different colors and they choose their favorite.

When we say the Rosary together as a family, we light a candle or two around the statues of the Blessed Virging Mother, St. Joseph, and the Holy Infant Jesus - on a small table made up with silk flowers. The kids like the candles. And it helps to turn the lights off to cut down on the distractions.

We say most of it, but sing a few Hail Mary's and Our Fathers to break it up a little.

At the beginning of each Mystery, I explain briefly what it's about. (It's a great teaching moment!) You pretty much have their undivided attention.

Repetition is the key!

We even say a decade of the Rosary on the way to and from Church.

Believe it or not - the car is a GREAT PLACE to pray! We even have each child in turn say their Act of Contrition on the way to Church - whether they go to confession or not. They all know it by heart now. Even the little ones from hearing it all the time!

Hope this helps.

Peace!

Marlene
"Whatever you ask through the Rosary
Shall be granted."

“I am the Lady of the Rosary."
...People must say the Rosary. Let them continue saying it every day.”

"One Day Through
the Rosary and Scapular
I Will Save the World."